Thursday, September 22, 2011

Blog Post #5

 Source Google Images
The ischool Initiative
This video was created by a high school student by the name of Travis Allen who argues to do away with paper, books, and pencils and put all schoolwork on an iPod touch. Allen feels that iPods as they are today could be capable of performing ischool with additional apps such as Wiki, Word, Formulae and Chemical Touch.
I personally don’t agree with Allen whole idea of ischool. When writing essays I personally need paper and pencil, so that I can be able to write different things down and be able to starch
through it if I know longer need it. I never like sitting in front of a computer for hours at a time doing work. Well, I guess be reading this that I totally dislike the whole idea of ischool.

Don’t Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? By: Scott McLeod

Scott McLeod, J.D., Ph.D., is widely recognized as one of the nation’s leading academic experts on K-12 school technology leadership issues. Dr. McLeod is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky. He also is the Founding Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education (CASTLE), the nation’s only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, and was a co-creator of the wildly popular video series, Did You Know? (Shift Happens).
Reading the post by Scott McLeod he tells us many reasons on why you should limit children the use of technology, because of its danger. Well, I must say that I both agree and disagree with him. I agree that we should protect our children but I don’t think it’s a great idea that we should keep them from using technology, because technology is basically taking over the world. One of the ways we can protect our children from some of the danger on the internet is by blocking sites and telling them how dangerous it is to communicate with strangers; most important how very dangerous it is to give out personal information. I think instead of not allowing them the use of technology we should teach them the right we to use it.

Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir
I think this was a very amazing video! I would’ve never in a million years thought this been possible. They sounded really good for them not to have met before recording. It’s so amazing what you can do with technology, I must admit that I am very behind with technology and must do better because it’s changing day by day.

The Lost Generation
This video was very interesting! During this video I was shocked by some of the comments made. I don’t understand how someone can tell they own kids that they are not the most important thing in life? WOW!!! I couldn’t imagine telling my daughter something like that, because my daughter means the world to me. As the video went on, I realized it was only used as an attention grabber. VERY CLEVER!!!
I must say that I was very blessed to have grown up in a home where I had both parents, because so children are not blessed with both their mother and father in the same household. Neither of my parents was previous married before. I pray that one day I can give my daughter the life my parents had given me.

5 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I really enjoyed read your blog post. It was very informational and straight to the point.However, I was wondering you agree with Travis Allen on doing away with paper, pencils, and books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally missed the meaning of Dr. McLeod's post. He was being sarcastic. Look at the closing lines: "...'cause I'm doing all of it with my kids

    can't wait to see who has a leg up in a decade or two

    can you?"

    In other words, keep your kids back. Mine will fly ahead of yours!

    You have copied from Mr. McLeod's About Me page without acknowledging the source and enclosing in quotation marks the passage copied. If you copy and paste more than 5 words without acknowledgement, you have technically committed plagiarism. Plagiarism is a very serious offense. You are not the only person who has done this for this assignment. I will attribute it this time to a lack of understanding about how to avoid plagiarism. It is especially important that anyone entering the teaching profession understands what plagiarism is, avoids it in their personal work, and can teach others about it. The copy and paste world in which we now live makes it very easy to do. Careers can easily be ruined through plagiarism. Watch the Class Blog for additional information and assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the iSchool, the idea is to not have a computer. It was designed with the iPod in mind. Of course, there will be some assignments that teachers give that require a typed paper. But, no one is banishing pen and paper. It is simply to have homework, text books, and assignments in one place to cut costs.

    I like the virtual choir too! It is amazing to think that all of those people from all of those different places could make something so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Latisha

    I enjoyed working on the podcast with you. Your blog looks very energetic and fun. There is a lot of good information in your post, but it would be nice if you provided some links to the videos for the readers to easily access them. It is important to make your post as if the reader is not in our class. You are more likely to have people continue and comment on your post in the future if you make it easy for them to read and follow along.

    Take care,

    Justin Cometti

    ReplyDelete